Md Saiful Islam Mollah : Alexa, a web Information Company is an important issue in the website world. Specially, in competitive online media market, they are running behind the alexa. Their experience, Online based organization or business will conduct appreciatively if alexa roll number, i.e, alexa rank position is better. Alexa rank is updated daily.
Alexa is a sister concern of the amazon.com, often simply amazon company, is an American electronic commerce and cloud computing company, founded in July 5, 1994, by Jeff Bezos and based in Seattle, Washington. It is the largest Internet-based retailer in the world by total sales and market capitalization. Amazon.com started as an online bookstore, later diversifying to sell DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, video downloads/streaming, MP3 downloads/streaming, audiobook downloads/streaming, software, video games, electronics, apparel, furniture, food, toys and jewelry. The company also produces consumer electronics—notably, Amazon Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, and Fire TV—and is the world’s largest provider of cloud infrastructure services (IaaS). Amazon also sells certain low-end products like USB cables under its in-house brand AmazonBasics.
All businesses that have taken up online marketing, aim at improving their conversion rate. Now, there are different ways of attracting targeted traffic. Some go for a good place in the SERPs, others like to know that their site receives heavy traffic. Either way, everybody has this goal of achieving financial success.
But, while scoring high with Google may seem to certain business people the only way to make themselves known and thus reaching their goal, there are others that think that a good place in the Alexa ranking system might benefit them just as well.
What is Alexa Ranking?
This is a ranking system set by alexa.com (a subsidiary of amazon.com) that basically audits and makes public the frequency of visits on various Web sites. The algorithm according to which Alexa traffic ranking is calculated, is simple. It is based on the amount of traffic recorded from users that have the Alexa toolbar installed over a period of three months.
This traffic is based on such parameters as reach and page views. The reach refers to the number of Alexa users who visit a particular site in one day. Page view, as its name shows, is the number of times a particular page (URL) is viewed by Alexa users. Alexa.com makes it clear though that, if a particular user visits the same URL multiple times on the same day, all those visits will be counted as one.
The first step of the ranking process is calculating the reach and number of page views for all the sites on the Web on a daily basis. The Alexa ranking is obtained by performing the geometric mean of reach and page views, averaged over a predefined period of time (three months).
How Alexa Ranking Works
It’s quite easy to get started. All you have to do is visit the alexa.com site and download (and install) the Alexa toolbar. This toolbar offers a search function but it mainly displays the rank (at a global level) of the visited site, as well as the sites that have been visited by Web surfers that are linked in some way to the site being visited.
The Alexa toolbar not only displays information, but it also sends data to the central server. Thus, each time you visit a Web page via a Web browser (be it Internet Explorer or Firefox) that has the toolbar installed, information is sent to the server indicating your IP and the page you are visiting. Such data is gathered from all the Web users who have the Alexa toolbar.
With Alexa, the smaller the numerical ranking, the better. Most people say that if you manage to make it in the top 100,000, it is a sign that your site enjoys quite heavy traffic.
Is Alexa Ranking Worth Anything?
- Alexa Traffic can be used as a competitive intelligence tool but you should take into consideration the fact that its sample size of audience is too small; Just enter your competitor’s site in the “Compare Sites” section and measure the results of your web marketing efforts in comparison with your competitors’.
- As opposed to Google’s PageRank, the lower your ranking number, the better.
- It helps Webmasters and advertisers see the true marketing potential of your Web site. The better your Alexa rank, the higher they will be willing to bid to buy advertising space on your Web site.
- Personal pages or blogs are taken into consideration and ranked in the same manner as regular Web sites. They will even get a distinctive mark (*)
- Given that Alexa ranking offers you information about your Web site, it is a good tool to have in view of search engine optimization.
- Not everybody has the Alexa toolbar installed, so there might be millions of Web sites that, even if they have a lot of traffic, will not be ranked (or not high enough) by Alexa. It is rather relative.
- Many people say that it is inaccurate and that Alexa traffic can be greatly influenced (or “gamed”, as some prefer to call it).
- Subdomains are not ranked separately, and neither are subpages within a domain. The overall traffic is calculated for the top-level domain only.
Ways to Improve Your Alexa Ranking
If you want to boost your Alexa traffic ranking, you just have to follow some quite simple rules, such as:
- Download and install the Alexa toolbar and then surf your own site.
- Place the Alexa widget on your Web site. It will entice the visitors to check it out, and you know, each click counts.
- Write useful, quality content, mostly webmaster-related. Promote it on webmaster forums and on social networking sites. The idea is to get as many computer and Internet savvy people as possible to visit your site, since the probability that they will have the Alexa toolbar installed is high.
- Write posts on your blogs and articles about Alexa. You will get links to your pages that will help improve your ranking.
- Try to get your articles on such social networking websites as digg.com, del.icio.us, or www.stumbleupon.com
- Optimize your site (or relevant pages of it) for Alexa related keywords.
- Tell your friends about the Alexa toolbar, have them download and install it on their computers, and then tell them to visit your site.
- Use Alexa redirect. This means placing http://redirect.alexa.com/redirect? in front of your Web site’s URL. Thus, Alexa will even take into consideration clicks on redirected links even if the visitor does not have the Alexa toolbar.
- Whenever you post on webmaster forums, include your site’s URL in your signature. It is very likely that most webmasters have the toolbar installed, and there’s a great probability that they’ll visit your site.
As we have seen, there are pros and cons to Alexa ranking. The bottom line is that most people consider it valuable only for direct advertising. Given the fact that Alexa ranking for a site is calculated on the basis of how many visitors with the Alexa toolbar installed have visited that particular site, the results can be inaccurate most of the time.
Nevertheless, it may prove useful for sites with very good traffic that attract highly targeted leads, since Alexa focuses more on the traffic that Web sites receive rather than on links to it. As a Web site monetization strategy, we can safely say that Alexa ranking might be the right solution. To purge the Alexa to be more careful. Otherwise, all his reputation will be ruined.